St. Peter's Church
St Peter's Church runs services throughout the week for the local community.
The church overlooks the group of ancient buildings at the centre of the village. It is recorded in the early 12th century and it was probably preceded by a Saxon building. Early Norman features survive - 2 little blocked windows high in the east wall and remarkably thick chancel walls. The present church was almost entirely rebuilt at the turn of the 14 - 15th centuries, and so it has remained, apart from the north aisle which was rebuilt in typical mellowed brick in 1639. The first Rector was presented to the benefice by Henry III in 1232.
All are Common Worship except where indicated as BCP.
Parish Communion 10.00am (except 1st Sunday)
Breakfast@church 9.00 am (1st Sunday)
Evening Communion 6.00pm (1st Sunday)
Evensong 6.00pm (every Sunday except 1st Sunday)
Holy Communion 10.00am (every Wednesday)
For more information, view the church details here.
A WARM WELCOME is extended to everyone at all services. The church has wheelchair and pram access, and a Loop System to assist those with hearing aids. FAMILIES are particularly welcome at all services. For young children books and toys are available in the North Aisle. There are modern lavatory facilities. Coffee is served after the morning service.
THE CHOIR welcomes new singers of all ages. If you enjoy singing please do consider joining the choir. Contact Carol Kennedy (tel:01732 884764)
BELLRINGERS - Our team of ringers is always in need of experienced recruits and willing beginners. Contact Richard Abnett (tel: 01732 810492)
WEDDINGS and BAPTISMS can be arranged with the Rector. Please tel: 01732 886827 or 07799 601546 to arrange a meeting.
PARISH CLUSTER: St Peter's is informally teamed with churches in Borough Green, Wrotham and St Mary's Platt. Occasional exchanges of Priests, united services and social events take place.
TWINNING: St Peter's is twinned with Holy Trinity, Twydall, Gillingham, a parish in north Kent.
SUPPORT is offered via many charities. We support two missionaries, Adam and Mim Griffin, in China via OMF. Active participation in Christian Aid week is an annual feature. An increment of our income is given annually to various causes that the donations committee considers suitable.
Regular Bible readings, prayer and discussion groups: John Webster (tel: 01732 884819)
PARENT & TODDLERS' GROUP meets 10 - 11.30 am Tuesday in the Church Room. Penny Cracknell (tel: 01732 884198)
COFFEE SHOP A weekly opportunity to enjoy tea, coffee, cake and good company. Held every Wednesday from 10.15am to 11.45am in the Church Centre. 50% of the proceeds are donated to charity.
OASIS especially for ladies of all ages; fellowship and friendship Thursday 9.30 - 11.00am Sue Nicholson (tel: 01732 833723)
MEN'S BREAKFAST CLUB second Saturdays monthly. Full English breakfast and chat in the George & Dragon. John Webster (tel: 01732 884819)
IGHTHAM PRIMARY SCHOOL is closely linked with St Peter's. A group of people regularly attend the school to present a session of Open the Book (a dramatized reading of a Bible story) to a whole school assembly. The children attend occasional services in St Peter's Church.
- Rector - Rev Tim Hatwell, The Rectory, Bates Hill, Ightham TN15 9G
tel: 01732 886827 / 07799601546 email: email@example.com
- Churchwardens - Mr Cedric Read 01732 884604 and Mr Stephen Nicholson tel: 01732 833723
- Reader - Mr John Webster tel: 01732 884819 and Mrs Michelle Lawson 01634 240598
- Pastoral Assistant - Mrs Sue Nicholson tel: 01732 833723
- Honorary Treasurer - Mr Max Robinson tel: 01732 885966
Assistant Treasurer - Mrs Judith Robinson tel: 01732 885966
Church website - www.ighthamchurch.org.uk
The church of St Peter's Ightham overlooks the group of ancient buildings at the centre of the village. It is recorded in the early 12th century and it was probably preceded by a Saxon building. Early Norman features survive - 2 little blocked windows high in the east wall and remarkably thick chancel walls. The present church was almost entirely rebuilt at the turn of the 14 - 15th centuries, and so it has remained, apart from the north aisle which was rebuilt in typical mellowed brick in 1639. The first Rector was presented to the benefice by Henry III in 1232.
There are various features of interest in this treasured church:
The oak wagon roof with its well moulded principal and embattled cornices. The south aisle has arched trusses and two quaint carved human heads: In the porch, the arched braced roof displays impressive workmanship.
The heavy oak entrance door with locally wrought nails and fittings was put in place in 1552.
The Cawne monument, in the north side of the chancel, dated about 1374. Sir Thomas built the great hall in Ightham Mote. He is exquisitely carved in full armour, bascinet with attached mail, the knightly belt and gauntlets. It is contemporary with a similar tomb of the Black Prince in Canterbury Cathedral. It may be that both were carved by the same sculptor. The window above - the oldest in the church - was willed by Sir Thomas.
Lady Dorothy Selby monument (1741), alongside the east window. The bust at least in this important sculpture was carved by the Master Mason to the Crown. Another occupant of Ightham Mote, her various interests -music, books, needlework, flowers and, being childless, the poor children of the Parish - are depicted around her.
On the south wall of the chancel a monument to two more Selbys, both Sir William's. The lower figure never married (1611), the upper, his nephew, was married to Lady Dorothy (1638). They combine to offer another large memorial in the ornate Stuart fashion.
Beneath a carpet, the brass of Jane Dirkin (1626) in typical Jacobean costume and a small brass on the floor in front of the altar of Sir Richard Clement with some original enamel still in place. He provided the chapel in Ightham Mote.
Hatchments. St Peter's has twelve - only 4 churches in Kent have more. They represent the three senior houses in the Parish - Ightham Mote, Ightham Court and St Clare (now in the Parish of Kemsing): and three hatchments from Rectors.
Six church bells, two of which were cast c: 1430.
A set of Jacobean box pews from the James family of Ightham Court. Rich carving includes the family crest- a chevron with three mill-rinds (the iron centre of the mill wheel for grinding barley): brewing was the principal source of the James' wealth.
Over the centre aisle hangs a graceful double tier, 24 light, brass chandelier, dated 1579
In the St Catherine chapel, memorials to Ightham's two VCs: Bugler William Sutton (1857) and Riversdale Colyer-Ferguson (1917 posthumously).
In the west wall of the south aisle, the mutilated gravestone of Jane Lambarde, first wife of William Lambarde, eminent Elizabethian lawyer and antiquarian. She lived at St Clare, married at 17 and died of smallpox 3 years later.
In the churchyard, adjacent to the chancel, an elaborate Victorian tomb for the Bailey Family. It was designed by the Victoran gothic revivalist architect William Burges.